[elrepo] kernel-lt and kernel-ml updates for Meltdown and Spectre

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Wed Jan 10 15:21:04 EST 2018

On 10/01/18 19:55, Phil Perry wrote:
> I'm starting this thread as somewhere to collect latest information on
> Meltdown and Spectre as relating to the elrepo kernel-lt and kernel-ml
> kernels.
>
> Please feel free to post to this thread, ask questions and share
> information. This is the place to do it.
>
> Please do not open bugs on https://elrepo.org/bugs unless you have
> identified a bug in the elrepo packaging process. They will be closed
> and you will be pointed here. Understand elrepo simply packages the
> upstream kernel source code as-is for your use on RHEL. They are not our
> bugs!
>
> Thank you,
>
> The ELRepo Team.

Microcode updates from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

You can download the latest mircocode update directly from Intel (above,
check you are downloading the latest version) and apply it directly to
your machine.

Download and extract the above microcode tarball and extract.

Copy the files in the intel-ucode directory to
/usr/lib/firmware/intel-ucode/ to update the firmware files.

The following command may be used to reload the updated firmware without
rebooting:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload

Check in /var/log/messages to see if the microcode has been updated. For
example:

# cat /var/log/messages | grep 'microcode'
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU0 sig=0x506e3, pf=0x2,
revision=0xba
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU0 updated to revision 0xc2,
date = 2017-11-16
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU1 sig=0x506e3, pf=0x2,
revision=0xba
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU1 updated to revision 0xc2,
date = 2017-11-16
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU2 sig=0x506e3, pf=0x2,
revision=0xba
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU2 updated to revision 0xc2,
date = 2017-11-16
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU3 sig=0x506e3, pf=0x2,
revision=0xba
Jan 10 20:17:00 quad kernel: microcode: CPU3 updated to revision 0xc2,
date = 2017-11-16

Note that updating of the microcode_ctl package may overwrite the
microcode firmware files so check a package update doesn't revert to
older firmware.