[elrepo] Announcement: EL7 Updated kmod-nvidia package for RHEL7.6

Rejean Lepage lepage at grm.polymtl.ca
Wed Nov 7 15:16:12 EST 2018

Hi Phil,  (I am new to the list and I just finish subscription, - so sorry if
this email is in double)

After reading both your email and bug report.

= [elrepo] Announcement: EL7 Updated kmod-nvidia package for RHEL7.6
= https://elrepo.org/bugs/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=877

I do feel there is somehow a bug about this nvidia situation which is only for
el6 and please keep up with me for a minutes before discarding as I would really
like to find a solution.

Yes we do use SL75 or CentOS 75 and we do have elrepo configured... you are
right kernel 957 and 7.6 is not yet available for clones.

And when I search for kmod-nvidia-340xx the only release available we can see is
340.107_2.el7_6.elrepo

A few question occurs to me:
- Why the repo would not detect that we have EL75 only installed?
- Why does it try to install it for EL76?
- Why when we search for a specific version el7_5 it does not find anything.

% yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=elrepo search kmod-nvidia-340xx-340.107-1.el7_5
Loaded plugins: langpacks
Warning: No matches found for: kmod-nvidia-340xx-340.107-1.el7_5
No matches found

I do feel there is something wrong and I fail to see how it can be done.

We got hundred of computer that now fails on any updates (including NVIDIA
update) because an incompatible EL7.6 update is made available to EL7.5 systems.

How can this really be solved so updates made available to latest Linux - do not
brake previous version ?

Am I wrong assuming ELRepo supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and its
derivatives (Scientific Linux, CentOS & others).
It look like this update fail to do that.

best regards,

--
Réjean Lepage, M.Sc.
Analyste GR2M/VLSI, génie Électrique.