[elrepo] Announcement: EL7 Updated kmod-nvidia package for RHEL7.6

Scott Kasai kasai at engineering.ucsb.edu
Fri Nov 9 11:07:50 EST 2018

As a CentOS user and running into the problem a couple of times...  I have
resorted to doing either one of the following:

* No longer doing yum-cron or automated updates while having elrepo in play.

This makes it so I have to do it manually or have the GUI desktop nag me to
look at what updates are available and only apply what I think are
necessary at the time.

* Make use of yum versionlock.

Yum has a version lock plugin.  See:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-redhat-fedora-yum-lock-package-version-command/

Where I work, which is a University, our labs sometimes have some services
that are only at a certain level due to manpower not being able to
reconfigure or port over older stuff to the newer standards.  CFEngine
being an example.

Versionlock had to be in place to prevent the installing of CFEngine 3.0
over the CFEngine 2.0 that was in place on some of the newer systems.  So
you can make use of versionlock for those situations and unlock it when you
feel you can use a newer version.

--
Scott Kasai
College of Engineering