[elrepo] Announcement: EL7 Updated kmod-nvidia package for RHEL7.6

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 05:41:46 EST 2018

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018, Phil Perry wrote:

> In the future I may deprecate/remove this feature so the plugin will only
> work (correctly) if all kernels are available, but I'd like some discussion
> about how best to handle this. I believe option (1) is more robust than any
> fudge / workaround I can implement and will allow the plugin to work
> seamlessly going forward, including on unsupported setups where people have
> stayed on older point releases. It doesn't matter whether we are talking now,
> transitioning from el7.5 to el7.6, or 6-12 months from now transitioning from
> el7.6 to el7.7, or for someone who for whatever reason has stayed on el7.4
> (or whatever point release). The plugin should just work in all scenarios as
> long as all kernels are available to yum (in reality it doesn't even need to
> be all kernels, just the base kernel from each point release).

Personally I'd ignore the use case of people staying on old point releases of
CentOS.  This isn't a supported setup, and I think you should treat it the
same way.

Your solution sounds workable, and obviously people don't need to install this
plugin if they don't like it.  They have a workaround available to them should
they want the full benefit, but it'd require local repo rejigs, at least by
including base kernels in a local mirror.

Assuming I didn't rejig the repos, and I was running machines on the current
point release, this would cause me no bother, as it'd not hide any old kmods,
as the only kmods considered for exclusion would be latest point release ones.
That right?

Looks good to me Phil.

jh