[elrepo] yum-plugin-nvidia breaks systems

Orion Poplawski orion at nwra.com
Tue Nov 27 15:46:04 EST 2018

On 11/27/18 12:41 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 27/11/2018 19:08, Orion Poplawski wrote:

>>> I have no idea why your yum-cron suddenly decided to install those
>>> nvidia packages. Do you have any log file to look at? Some package(s)
>>> pulled them in???
>>>
>>> Akemi
>>
>> Unfortunately there is no log of the depsolving that went into that
>> transaction.  And I cannot reproduce it now by undoing that transaction and
>> running and update again - possibly because new updates have arrived in the
>> sl-security repo changing the transaction.
>>
>> I'll also note that on one system with the nvidia driver already installed, it
>> decided to install nvidia-x11-drv-32bit.x86_64 as well.
>>
>> I can only think that it decided that it was a better fit for something like
>> libEGL.so.1 than mesa-libEGL was.
>>

> It's almost certainly nvidia-x11-drv that has caused the issue, and in turn
> pulled in kmod-nvidia and yum-plugin-nvidia as dependencies.
>
> Please could you show the output from:
>
> rpm -q --whatrequires nvidia-x11-drv

no package requires nvidia-x11-drv

but that's not un-expected :).

> I think you are right above. The current nvidia-x11-drv package provides a
> number of components that are also provided on rhel7.6 by libglvnd* and
> mesa-libGL, mesa-libEGL and mesa-libGLES packages.
>
> Yum isn't fussy what package meets a dependency, so long as it is met. My
> guess is yum has chosen nvidia-x11-drv to meet a dependency that should have
> been met by one/some of the packages above.
>
> If you try to 'yum erase nvidia-x11-drv' and look at the packages being
> removed for dependencies, that may give you a clue but initially I would be
> looking at the packages above (don't follow through if it's going to uninstall
> half the system!). The 'rpm' command above should also provide you with some
> clues what pulled it in.
>
> Assuming we are correct above, this should be fixed in the next release -
> sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Phil

I was able to remove the nivida packages without anything else needing to be
removed - so something else must have been brought in as well to satisfy the
dependencies as well.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/