[elrepo] Updateinfo for ELRepo 8?

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Thu Jul 11 14:27:13 EDT 2019

On 09/07/2019 22:05, Pat Riehecky wrote:

> On 7/9/19 3:19 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 8:54 AM Pat Riehecky<riehecky at fnal.gov>  wrote:
>>> Would the ELRepo project be open to providing a limited updateinfo for
>>> ELRepo 8?
>>>
>>> There is a fairly viable python library[1] for building and managing the
>>> XML file.  In theory this would permit folks using ELRepo to easily
>>> install security errata (and get notifications from PackageKit about
>>> missing ones).
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to assist getting this off the ground.
>>>
>>> Pat
>>>
>>> [1]https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pagure.io_python-2DUpdateinfo&d=DwICAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=OAMtP0DWou0nlXG7Kmxo2enjXJfwb1DXS9fwcaESuTE&m=LBLCgToPbzzUo9ulP_-bul1Qh7dhe35Nipnrb64Yf50&s=umHJ3s6jcJgesSF_jq1NZW4g9yDOmxwvn84ZsWgKXLs&e=
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pat Riehecky
>> Hi Pat,
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion and offer to help. Due to my lack of
>> complete knowledge of the subject, I need to ask a question.
>>
>> We don't differentiate between security/bug fix updates - we support
>> the latest package release only, so users of elrepo should generally
>> update to the latest version of which ever package(s) they may be
>> using. In this situation how would the updateinfo benefit elrepo?
>>
>> Again pardon my ignorance.  :(  :)
>>
>> Akemi
>>

> No worries :)
>
> There are a few ways updateinfo could assist with things.
>
> Part of the XML requires a publication date.  This could help with
> tracking down when a package was built for possible ABI breakage.  I
> also use it to track how often a given package is updated.[2]
>
> There is a section where you can list related tickets for a given
> update.  This could be handy for tracking a package back to the original
> request.
>
> One of the biggest uses is the distinction between security and
> non-security packages.  Admittedly I'm looking back a bit, but the
> nvidia kmod 295.40-1.el6.elrepo (CVE-2012-0946) was a bit scary.  Folks
> following the announcements knew what to do, and folks that installed
> the latest packages were fine.  But folks that were not subscribed to
> the list may not have been aware of the need to update.
>
> I'm a firm believer in install all the updates, but alas not all folks
> do.  Generally folks break down into two camps : Users and Business.
>
> With the metadata for an RPM tagged as a security update in EL8,
> PackageKit and GnomeSoftware nag a normal user about the missing
> security fix - I find this nag eventually forces the issue. From a "big
> business" process perspective, it can be easier to justify a change
> ticket for packages that are tagged as being security fixes.[3]
>
> I'm not clear that ELRepo has (or needs) any commitment to do security
> tracking of packages.  And I'm not sure how much of a problem it would
> [...]

Hi Pat,

I'm minded to say no as I'm not seeing the cost-benefit, either for
elrepo or our users.

Firstly, we have no security data available to us for the vast majority
of packages we release. Upstream kernel.org do not release security
advisories so we have no way of classifying kernel-ml or kernel-lt
releases as security-related or not. In reality, I'm guessing that the
majority of kernel releases do contain some kind of security-related
patches, but it's kind of irrelevant as our advice is (1) these packages
are provided on an as-is basis and not intended for production use, and
(2) we only support the latest release.

Likewise, we have no data on the security status of kmod packages which
are based on code backported from upstream kernels.

Similarly, we often have no security data for OEM driver releases (your
NVIDIA example is an exception rather than the rule).

So this leads to the question would we tag everything as a security
update without an accompanying advisory notice providing details, or tag
everything as not a security update thus opening ourselves up to
criticism of misleading people if a package release was later discovered
to contain a security fix. The latter would be particularly concerning
to me as trust is everything when asking users to install kmod packages
into the heart of their kernel.

 From my perspective, everything we release is inherently of high risk.
We are asking users to trust and install either a full kernel or a
package that inserts a driver into their kernel. We recommend anyone who
accepts that risk to install/update to the latest version (and we worked
closely with Red Hat in the early days of elrepo to ensure kmod packages
were updatable rather than multi-install). Anyone who accepts that risk
and chooses not to install the latest version against our explicit
advice, or sticks with an old trusted stable version for whatever reason
knows what they are doing.

Ironically, one of our most popular packages (Nvidia) is somewhat of an
anomaly as we provide this largely as a convenience to users in RPM
packaged format. We do this largely because we firmly believe the kmod
format is the best delivery method for kernel modules on end user machines.

If we were rebuilding content that comes with an existing security
rating / advisory that we could easily access and assign to our packages
then I could see more value, but from my perspective any assignment
would be largely arbitrary and not based on any underlying knowledge or
data.

Do others have an opinion?

Phil