[elrepo] Announcement: EL7 Updated kernel-lt Package Set [5.4.252-1]

Akemi Yagi toracat at elrepo.org
Tue Aug 8 23:14:41 EDT 2023

Note on this release (from Greg Kroah-Hartman)
"Note, PLEASE TEST this kernel if you are on the 5.4.y tree before using
it in a real workload.  This was a quick release due to the obvious
security fixes in it, and as such, it has not had very much testing "in
the wild".  Please let us know of any problems seen.  Also note that the
user/kernel api for the new security mitigations might be changing over
time, so do not get used to them being fixed in stone just yet."

Announcing the release of the kernel-lt-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo package
set into the EL7 elrepo-kernel repository:

https://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt

The upstream changelog:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.4.252

The following files are currently synchronising to our mirror sites:

x86_64
kernel-lt-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
kernel-lt-devel-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
kernel-lt-doc-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
kernel-lt-headers-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
kernel-lt-tools-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
kernel-lt-tools-libs-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
kernel-lt-tools-libs-devel-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
perf-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
python-perf-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

nosrc
kernel-lt-5.4.252-1.el7.elrepo.nosrc.rpm

Note: As a consequence of the upstream decision [1] to raise the
minimum required version of gcc to 5.1, the distribution compiler can
no longer be used in the kernel build process. We now use gcc-9, which
is available from the devtoolset-9 package.

We provide these kernels for hardware testing in an effort to identify
new/updated drivers which can then be targeted for backporting as kmod
packages. Meanwhile, these kernels may provide interim relief to
people with non-functional hardware. We stress that we consider such
kernels as a last resort for those who are unable to get their
hardware working using the RHEL-7 kernel with supplementary kmod
packages.

These packages are provided "As-Is" with no implied warranty or
support. Using the kernel-lt may expose your system to security,
performance and/or data corruption issues. Since timely updates may
not be available from the ELRepo Project, the end user has the
ultimate responsibility for deciding whether to continue using the
kernel-lt packages in regular service.

The packages are intentionally named kernel-lt so as not to conflict
with the RHEL-7 kernels and, as such, they may be installed and
updated alongside the regular kernel. The kernel configuration is
based upon a default RHEL-7 configuration with added functionality
enabled as appropriate.

If a bug is found when using these kernels, the end user is encouraged
to report it upstream to the Linux Kernel Bug Tracker [2] and, for our
reference, to the ELRepo bug tracker [3]. By taking such action, the
reporter will be assisting the kernel developers, Red Hat and the Open
Source Community as a whole.

Thank you,

The ELRepo Team.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=316346243be6df12799c0b64b788e06bad97c30b