[elrepo] [CentOS] NTFS and elrepo

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Mon Nov 2 10:56:24 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 15:30 +0000, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Akemi Yagi <toracat at elrepo.org>:

> >> Yes, I noticed that. I was wondering if you could test the write
> >> functionality within the limits as defined in the second paragraph of
> >> my second quote from the kernel Kconfig file.
> >
> > Ah, sorry, I totally missed that section. I will test it as soon as I
> > get a chance.  But judging from what is said, that "write" function is
> > almost useless.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I assume that is how it always was with NTFS_RW configured in the
> CentOS-Plus kernel?
>
> Perhaps I should add the following to the kmod-ntfs description in the
> ELRepo wiki --
>
> "This module is configured for partial, but safe, write support.
>
> The only operation permitted is the overwriting of existing files,
> without changing the file length.
> No file or directory creation, deletion or renaming is possible."
>
> Any comments, please?

Well, as a poor, dumb user ( for this functionality ) it seems to me
that this may well be more trouble than it's worth.  My gut reaction is
that there is a significant fraction of the people interested in this
that would find it frustrating that write-support for NTFS is enabled,
but restricted in this way.  From the perspective of my limited needs,
it may be better to limit this module to read-only until full write
support can be done safely, and let the people who need/want write
support immediately stick to the ntfs-3g/dkms solution.

I emphasize that this is just my $0.02 (US) worth of my own opinion.