[elrepo] kmod-rt2860sta success

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 11:33:56 EST 2009

I am happy to report that kmod-rt2860 works with my Linksys WMP600N PCI
wireless N adapter under CentOS 5.4.  I did run into a couple of
issues, however.

First, the documentation is not included in the RPM.  I had to download and
extract the source tarball to read the configuration instructions.   The
documentation files are

    iwpriv_usage.txt
    README_STA
    RT2860STACard.dat
    RT2860STA.dat
    sta_ate_iwpriv_usage.txt

Second,  the kernel module needs the configuration file
/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat.  If the config file is missing then
wireless won't work.

Finally, Ralink has version 2.2.0.0 available from
<http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2>
I don't see anything I need in the release notes, but someone might want it.

I'm running wireless G with WPA, wpa_supplicant at boot, no
NetworkManager.  Performance seems solid and much improved over the
ath5k card I replaced.

Thanks for ElRepo and I hope this helps the person who installs this driver.

Jim