[elrepo] kmod-rt2860sta success

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Nov 14 16:45:29 EST 2009

James Szinger wrote:
> I am happy to report that kmod-rt2860 works with my Linksys WMP600N PCI
> wireless N adapter under CentOS 5.4.  I did run into a couple of
> issues, however.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated :)

> First, the documentation is not included in the RPM.  I had to download and
> extract the source tarball to read the configuration instructions.   The
> documentation files are
>
>     iwpriv_usage.txt
>     README_STA
>     RT2860STACard.dat
>     RT2860STA.dat
>     sta_ate_iwpriv_usage.txt

Yep, tricky one that. We kind of decided that kmod packages should
pretty much only contain the kernel module (.ko), and it's associated
conf file. We've never really discussed what we should do with
documentation or how/where it should be packaged. Now might be as good a
time as any to start that discussion.

> Second,  the kernel module needs the configuration file
> /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat.  If the config file is missing then
> wireless won't work.

Again, thanks for that. I had previously updated the rt2870sta package
to include the dat file, but hadn't got around to updating rt2860sta yet.

> Finally, Ralink has version 2.2.0.0 available from
> <http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2>
> I don't see anything I need in the release notes, but someone might want it.

I'll update the source when I rebuild it to include the
/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat

> I'm running wireless G with WPA, wpa_supplicant at boot, no
> NetworkManager.  Performance seems solid and much improved over the
> ath5k card I replaced.
>
> Thanks for ElRepo and I hope this helps the person who installs this driver.

Again, thanks for the feedback - it's impossible for us to test without
the hardware so this kind of feedback is vital. Now we know someone is
using it and it works we'll have more motivation to keep it updated :)