[elrepo] kmod-rt2860sta success

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Nov 15 08:21:52 EST 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Phil Perry wrote:

> James Szinger wrote:
>
>> First, the documentation is not included in the RPM.  I had to download and
>> extract the source tarball to read the configuration instructions.   The
>> documentation files are
>>
>>     iwpriv_usage.txt
>>     README_STA
>>     RT2860STACard.dat
>>     RT2860STA.dat
>>     sta_ate_iwpriv_usage.txt
>
> Yep, tricky one that. We kind of decided that kmod packages should
> pretty much only contain the kernel module (.ko), and it's associated
> conf file. We've never really discussed what we should do with
> documentation or how/where it should be packaged. Now might be as good a
> time as any to start that discussion.

I would add them to the kernel-module package if there is no seperate
(mandatory) utility package. Otherwise I would move them to the utilities
package instead, maybe. (For consistency reasons maybe always add them to
the kmod package)

On the other hand, documentation to me is small, and sometimes scripts,
tarballs, pdfs or firmware are included. Maybe documentation is expected
to be smaller than the real payload :)

>> I'm running wireless G with WPA, wpa_supplicant at boot, no
>> NetworkManager.  Performance seems solid and much improved over the
>> ath5k card I replaced.
>>
>> Thanks for ElRepo and I hope this helps the person who installs this driver.
>
> Again, thanks for the feedback - it's impossible for us to test without
> the hardware so this kind of feedback is vital. Now we know someone is
> using it and it works we'll have more motivation to keep it updated :)

Without the community, ELRepo would simply not be possible.