[elrepo] RFP: mISDN and Dahdi ...

Clinton Lee Taylor clintonlee.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:06:45 EST 2009

Greetings ...

 Thanks for the response, I hope I will be able to answer all the
right questions ...

2009/11/17 Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org>:
> 2009/11/17 Akemi Yagi <toracat at elrepo.org>:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Clinton Lee Taylor
>> <clintonlee.taylor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>  I was wondering if we could get mISDN and Dahdi kernel drivers in EL Repo?
>>>
>>>  There are srpm at ...
>>> http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/5/current/SRPMS/mISDN-kmod-1.1.7.2-3_centos5.2.6.18_164.6.1.el5.src.rpm
>>>  ... and ...
>>> http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/5/current/SRPMS/dahdi-linux-kmod-2.2.0.2-1_centos5.2.6.18_164.6.1.el5.src.rpm
>>>
>>>  But these are not one package for all kernels, but a kmod for each
>>> kernel version ...
>>>
>>>  If we could work on getting these it, it would be great ... Plus I
>>> have an extra patch for Dahdi to add some hardware that is not
>>> included in this srpm.
>
>> Thanks for writing to us.  Wonder who could look into this task.  Alan?
>
> Yes, assuming Lee could test any packages for us, I would be willing
> to see if I can convert them into kernel-independent kABI tracking
> kmods.
 Yes, I can test with personal hardware for both systems, plus stress
test in working environments ...

> With regards to the extra patch for Dahdi, would it be more sensible
> to offer it upstream, to the package maintainer, to have it
> incorporated that way?
 I have, but Asterisk Developers will not add hardware drivers to
DAHDI, unless the original manufactures of said hardware submit the
driver and under their strict license ... I could point you to the
details, if you would like to look it over, but I don't wish to nit
pick, I would just like to get an easy to install and maintain system,
that works ...

> And, finally, I declare my ignorance -- I have no knowledge of mlSDN
> and Dahdi. A very brief introduction (or pointer to such) would be
> appreciated.

My pleasure, let me see if I can help here ...

DAHDI used to be called 'Zaptel', which is short for "Digium Asterisk
Hardware Device Interface" ... dahdi is the hardware interface for
asterisk or the Open Source VoIP PBX system from Digium ...

http://www.asterisk.org/dahdi
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DAHDI

http://www.misdn.org
mISDN is the next step in ISDN support, module like development ...
Currently using version 1.1.7, which is in
http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/ ... This works for some HFC
PCI/USB TA devices, which is what I'm using in my PBX.

Again, I would rather have these in an Open Repo, where everybody
could benefit from regular use.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will try fill in the blanks.

Thanks
Mailed
LeeT