[elrepo] kmod-usb-serial ...

Clinton Lee Taylor clintonlee.taylor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 07:04:43 EST 2009

Greetings ...

 Thanks Alan for the response and plenty hard work ...

2009/11/22 Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org>:
> I have done some checking and find that the Winchiphead CH341
> usb/serial converter would require the ch341 kernel module. (No great
> surprise there.)
 That is what I thought, and that is why I was asking about the
kmod-usb-serial ...

> That module should drive a device which has either 1A86:7523 or
> 4348:5523 as it's Vendor:Device ID pairing (as shown in the string
> returned by a /sbin/lsusb command). If you already own the device,
> perhaps you would check it against the above values. If there isn't a
> match, there is no point in reading on.
 I have a device that is reporting 1a86:7523 Unknown HL-340 USB-Serial
adapter, so I believe I will be able to test ...

> I have made a start on creating a kABI tracking ch341 kmod package and
> have made the tarball of the relevant source files available from my
> http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/tmp/ch341-0.0/ directory. Please
> feel free to download a copy and experiment with it. Assuming you have
> the kernel-devel package matching your running kernel installed, just
> a "make" command would set the build process in action. (The only
> other make target to note is "clean" -- as in a "make clean" command.)
> Once the ch341.c file has been suitably modified / hacked / patched a
> ch341.ko module will be produced. (Once that stage is reached and you
> have access to the physical device to test, a "insmod ./ch341.ko"
> would be appropriate.)
 Cool, going to download and see how it goes and let you know ...

> Assuming you are successful, please return a copy of the modified /
> hacked / patched ch341.c file to me and I will create the required
> kmod package -- giving you credit for your contribution in the
> package's change log. of course. :-)
 Cool, will do what I can ...

Thanks
Mailed