[elrepo] kmod-usb-serial ...

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sun Nov 22 12:37:24 EST 2009

Lee,

I have done some checking and find that the Winchiphead CH341
usb/serial converter would require the ch341 kernel module. (No great
surprise there.)

That module should drive a device which has either 1A86:7523 or
4348:5523 as it's Vendor:Device ID pairing (as shown in the string
returned by a /sbin/lsusb command). If you already own the device,
perhaps you would check it against the above values. If there isn't a
match, there is no point in reading on.

I have made a start on creating a kABI tracking ch341 kmod package and
have made the tarball of the relevant source files available from my
http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/tmp/ch341-0.0/ directory. Please
feel free to download a copy and experiment with it. Assuming you have
the kernel-devel package matching your running kernel installed, just
a "make" command would set the build process in action. (The only
other make target to note is "clean" -- as in a "make clean" command.)
Once the ch341.c file has been suitably modified / hacked / patched a
ch341.ko module will be produced. (Once that stage is reached and you
have access to the physical device to test, a "insmod ./ch341.ko"
would be appropriate.)

Assuming you are successful, please return a copy of the modified /
hacked / patched ch341.c file to me and I will create the required
kmod package -- giving you credit for your contribution in the
package's change log. of course. :-)

Alan.