[elrepo] Intel DG41RQ Motherboard & RTL 8168 (kmod-r8168-xen)

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:41:01 EDT 2009

Thread continued from
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-September/081789.html as
subject matter now relates to elrepo packages.

Problem is that the Intel board is nor recognizing the onboard 8168
nic. Tried to install the elrepo driver on my fresh centos v. 5.0
install but kernel dependencies seem to be unresolved and error
messages don't show the kernel version required, but shows the hashes
of the kernel modules required.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Sanjay Arora<sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Akemi Yagi<amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [root at localhost] lspci -n | grep "Ethernet"
>>
>> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
>>
>> [root at localhost] lspci -n | grep "03:00.0"
>>
>> 03:00.0 0200: 10ec:8168 (rev 03)
>>

>> rpm -qa reports my installed kernel as kernel-xen-2.6.18-8.el5
>>
>> kmod-r8168-xen still wont install due to kernel module dependencies.
>> So what next.

>The xen kernels may need special attention because they have some kABI
>tracking-related issues.  I see you are subscribed to the ELRepo
>mailing list. Can we take this thread there?  This is because the
>subject is now about the elrepo packages and not all ELRepo admins are
>reading this CentOS mailing list.

>By the way, if you are planning to install Windows XP as a guest (as
>you indicated in the original post), I would suggest VirtualBox or
>VMware.

Request please advise what to do?

Also, is Xen inferior for hosting a Windows Guest?

Sanjay.