[elrepo] D-Link DWA-140 on CentOS 5 disappearing

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sun Jun 27 07:19:10 EDT 2010

Hi Kostis,

I don't have any experience with a DWA-140 but I wonder if what you
are experiencing is a symptom of it being able to behave as both a
removable storage device and a serial communications device.

I would be interested to know the result of the following experiment.

Disconnect the DWA-140 and boot the system from cold (i.e. a power-on
boot-up). Execute /sbin/lsusb and note the result. Plug the DWA-140
into a USB port. Execute /sbin/lsusb again. The difference between the
two lsusb command's output will be the default fingerprint
(Vendor:Device ID Pairing) for the DWA-140. Please post the value of
that fingerprint. Now see if System ---> Administration ---> Network
(i.e. executing system-config-network from the CLI) will allow you to
configure it as a wireless device.

Next, with the DWA-140 still connected, perform a warm reboot of the
system. Once again, execute an /sbin/lsusb command. Does the device
show the same fingerprint? If not, please post that new value.

If you do indeed see two different device fingerprints, I'm sure one
will be as the serial communications device and one will be as a
removable storage medium. In that case, perhaps a recent (and ongoing)
CentOS forum thread [1] will give you some idea.

Alan.

[1] https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26747&forum=40&post_id=109709#forumpost109709