[elrepo] Announcement: Updated kmod-nvidia and nvidia-x11-drv [195.36.15] packages in testing

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Wed Mar 24 10:28:10 EDT 2010

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> Phil Perry wrote:
>> Announcing the release of updated kmod-nvidia and nvidia-x11-drv
>> packages to the elrepo-testing repository:
> <snip>
>> Please test and feedback either here or on the bug tracker.
>
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded from 190.53-1.el5.elrepo to 195.36.15-1.el5.elrepo , on
> an x86_64 fully up-to-date centos5 system.
>
> The upgrade went fine without requiring any manual intervention, and the
> new driver works for me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Nicolas

Thanks Nicolas - the feedback is always very much appreciated :)

I've successfully tested on 2 x86_64 systems, and Akemi and Dag have
also both reported success.

Given this is the first full release (non-beta) from nvidia for the
195.xx series (although they did make a number of beta pre-releases),
I'm wondering if we should promote it to elrepo or leave it in testing -
my thinking being that one might consider this release as a "point zero"
release for the 195 series. Then when the next release to the 195 series
driver is made, we promote that to the main repo.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and the latest release should be
stable enough for general consumption in EL.

Either way, I'd be glad to hear opinions from users of the package, and
others.

Phil