[elrepo] elrepo :: is fedora supported?

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Aug 6 12:26:14 EDT 2011

On 06/08/11 12:01, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> On 08/05/11 22:07, Phil Perry wrote:
>> On 05/08/11 19:45, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
>>> Hi! Given the intro:
>>> "Welcome to ELRepo, an RPM repository for Enterprise Linux packages.
>>> ELRepo supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and its derivatives
>>> (Scientific Linux, CentOS&   others)."
>>>
>>> is by any chance Fedora in "others"?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Adrian
>>>

>> Hi Adrian,
>>
>> No, because Fedora kernels do not contain a stable kernel ABI (kABI)
>> therefore drivers (kernel modules) must be built against each and every
>> kernel release. Only RHEL (and it's clones) offers a stable kernel ABI
>> that facilitates the kABI-tracking kmod packages that elrepo produces.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
> Thanks! My intention of question was towards kernel-ml .. i am a little
> bit lazy so it would have helped to have a known repo for vanilla kernel ...
>
> Adrian

Hi Adrian,

The kernel-ml package is largely Alan's domain, but I'll do my best to
answer. Some RHEL packages will run on Fedora, but as far as the kernel
goes, I personally wouldn't risk it but you are certainly welcome to try.

You might have more success rebuilding our SRPM on Fedora and running
that. But one has to ask why you feel the need for a mainline kernel on
an already cutting edge distro?

Regards,

Phil