[elrepo] Announcement: EL5 Updated kernel-ml Release [Version 2.6.37-0.3.el5.elrepo]

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Feb 16 13:06:29 EST 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Nikki Locke wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Nikki Locke wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, great, another reason to drop Linux, and go back to Windows :-(
>>
>> Depends on your priorities, I guess.
>>
>> Weighing all pros and cons, Windows never won in my equation for the past
>> 15 years. A drop in USB3 performance will not make that big of a
>> difference here.
>
> A drop in USB performance would be the height of luxury. Getting USB working
> at all (at the same time as my display drivers) doesn't seem to be possible.
>
> Having Windows hosting my VMs is stupid. But it appears to be the only
> option available to me.

Normally, you buy your hardware based on what your needs are. If you
planned to run Linux all along, you look for the hardware that has the
best support.

For a desktop that's more important than for a server, because you have
more specific requirements (video drivers, wireless, suspend/hibernate,
...).

I bought my laptop to specifically have Intel video that was
supported, had a working suspend/resume, 3G support, wireless, and
little power usage.

But for a server the video and USB3 are hardly important, so I guess
whether it is Linux or Windows is not that big of a deal to you.