[elrepo] Announcement: EL6 kmod-rtl8187se Testing Release [Version 2.5.49]

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Thu Jan 5 05:31:56 EST 2012

On 01/05/2012 03:24 AM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Announcing the release of kmod-rtl8187se packages into the EL6
> elrepo-testing repository:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-rtl8187se
>
> This package provides the EL6 driver module for wireless devices based
> on the Realtek RTL8187SE Single-Chip Wireless LAN network interface
> controller and is kABI compatible with all kernels from 6.0
> (kernel-2.6.32-71.el6) upwards.
>
> It is built to depend upon the specific ABI provided by a range of
> releases of the same variant of the Linux kernel and not on any one
> specific build.
>
> The following files are currently syncing to the mirrors:
>
> x86:
> kmod-rtl8187se-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.i686.rpm
>
> x86_64:
> kmod-rtl8187se-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>
> src:
> rtl8187se-kmod-0.0-1.el6.elrepo.src.rpm
>
> End-user testing and subsequent feedback will speed the eventual
> promotion of this package from  elrepo-testing to the main repository.

One CentOS user asked on the mailing list about rtl8185 package. He
manually installed it, module is used but no interface devices are created.

I am not sure how much usage this package would get, chipset is rather
old, but it might be good to have it.

Thread on CentOS mailing list is "probleme with my wifi card on centos
6" started on Jan. 02. 2012.

Link to official source package is
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8185L

,and there is third party driver on