[elrepo] Announcement: EL6 kmod-rtl8187se Testing Release [Version 2.5.49]

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:25:18 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 03:24 AM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Announcing the release of kmod-rtl8187se packages into the EL6
>> elrepo-testing repository:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-rtl8187se
>>
>> This package provides the EL6 driver module for wireless devices based
>> on the Realtek RTL8187SE Single-Chip Wireless LAN network interface
>> controller and is kABI compatible with all kernels from 6.0
>> (kernel-2.6.32-71.el6) upwards.

> One CentOS user asked on the mailing list about rtl8185 package. He
> manually installed it, module is used but no interface devices are created.
>
> I am not sure how much usage this package would get, chipset is rather
> old, but it might be good to have it.
>
> Thread on CentOS mailing list is "probleme with my wifi card on centos
> 6" started on Jan. 02. 2012.
>
> Link to official source package is
> http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8185L
>
> ,and there is third party driver on
>
> http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/

Actually, this kmod was built because a CentOS forum user was having
trouble building the driver for rtl8187se himself:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35030&forum=55

We tried to help him but eventually Phil pulled the code from the
kernel and built it for him. As you can see in post #10 of that
thread, the OP confirmed it worked. So, we decided to make it
available from ELRepo. :)

Akemi