[elrepo] Headers question

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Wed Mar 21 15:00:14 EDT 2012

On 21 March 2012 18:16, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Followed your suggestions (+ found inspiration) and got the following.
> I'm not sure if this is a kernel or elrepo problem.  If necessary,
> please steer me to the kernel folks.

<snip>

I doubt it is either an ELRepo or an upstream kernel problem but more
of a failure of the video4linux project to provide clear documentation
of the requirements, etc and how to build the product. :-/

> What I'm doing is compiling video4linux drivers from the v4l development
> git.  I'm using their instructions (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/
> How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers).  I'm doing
> this against the kernel-ml version 2.6.35-14.1.el5.elrepo.

<snip>

> At the end of the configure.err file is:
> /root/media_build/v4l/radio-rtrack2.c: In function 'rtrack2_alloc':
> /root/media_build/v4l/radio-rtrack2.c:46: error: implicit declaration of
> function 'kzalloc'
> /root/media_build/v4l/radio-rtrack2.c:46: warning: return makes pointer
> from integer without a cast
> make[3]: *** [/root/media_build/v4l/radio-rtrack2.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [_module_/root/media_build/v4l] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> build failed at ./build line 410.

<snip>

The first and most important thing I see that you are doing
incorrectly is attempting to build the package as root! Please desist.
All configuration, building, etc, should be performed as a normal,
mortal user. The only time one needs to assume root powers is to
perform the actual installation.

> The section of code in radio-rtrack2.o which contains line 46 is:
> static struct radio_isa_card *rtrack2_alloc(void)
> {
> line 46 => return kzalloc(sizeof(struct radio_isa_card), GFP_KERNEL);
> }
>
> The section of the script, build, which contains line 410, is:
> print "******************\n";
> print "* Start building *\n";
> print "******************\n";
>
> system ("make allyesconfig") == 0 or die "can't select all drivers";
> system ("make") == 0 or die "build failed";  <<<<========= line 410
>
> print "**********************************************************\n";
> print "* Compilation finished. Use 'make install' to install them\n";
> print "**********************************************************\n";
>
> __END__
>
> At the end of the configure.out file is:
>   CC [M]  /root/media_build/v4l/radio-aztech.o
>   CC [M]  /root/media_build/v4l/radio-rtrack2.o
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.35-14.1.el5.elrepo-i686'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/media_build/v4l'
>
> Thoughts, suggestions?
>
> I have the configure.err and .out files if there is something you need.
>  Thanks for all your help with this.

<snip>

Without downloading the sources and trying it for myself, the way
forward is not too clear. However, let's look at the very first error
--

[quote]
/v4l/radio-rtrack2.c:46: error: implicit declaration of function 'kzalloc'

What more can I say? The above says it all. On line 46 of the file
"radio-rtrack2.c" there is attempted usage of a function "kzalloc()"
which has neither been declared or defined before that attempted usage.

You really need the assistance of someone who is experienced in
package building. I could "name names" of persons subscribed to this
list who are admirably suited to take on that role. However, it all
depends upon time available and commitments.

So what I shall do is make this request --

Is there anyone reading this thread who would be prepared to assist
Joe in performing a "classical ./configure , make & sudo make install"
of the video4linux package for EL5, building against the ELRepo
Project's kernel-ml-2.6.34-14.1 kernel package?

If so, please make yourself known here and then provide the help off-list. :)

Advance thanks, etc.

Alan.