[elrepo] Headers question

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 11:46:32 EDT 2012

Alan Bartlett wrote:
<snip>

> I doubt it is either an ELRepo or an upstream kernel problem but more
> of a failure of the video4linux project to provide clear documentation
> of the requirements, etc and how to build the product. :-/

<snip>

> You really need the assistance of someone who is experienced in
> package building.

<snip>

> Is there anyone reading this thread who would be prepared to assist
> Joe in performing a "classical ./configure , make & sudo make install"
> of the video4linux package for EL5, building against the ELRepo
> Project's kernel-ml-2.6.34-14.1 kernel package?

Alan,

Ah ha!  That was the tip!  The linuxtv site talked about running a
script named  "build" to _build_ the drivers.  I didn't think far enough
ahead to realize this script was just the "classical ./configure , make
& sudo make install" routine, and that resolution might be hiding within
the script.

So I dug into the script and found a place within it to stop the process
after the configure steps.  Then I went into the (now available) kernel
.config file and set the offending module (radio-rtrack2) from "m" to
"n".  Then dug back into the original script and ran the remaining tasks
(essentially just "make") and it worked.  Then I ran "make install" and
that worked.

Unfortunately, the Hauppauge HD-PVR still doesn't work.  It is brand new
and my googling doesn't turn up anything for one this new.  So I suspect
that even the git version hasn't started to address it.  :-(

Thanks for all your help.  It was that which finally got me to the right
place.  And thanks for "pinging" the net for folks to lend a hand.  It's
this kind of support from linux gurus which keeps me using linux.

Joe Henley