[elrepo] Headers question

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Thu Mar 22 14:02:46 EDT 2012

On 22 March 2012 15:46, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Alan Bartlett wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Is there anyone reading this thread who would be prepared to assist
>> Joe in performing a "classical ./configure , make & sudo make install"
>> of the video4linux package for EL5, building against the ELRepo
>> Project's kernel-ml-2.6.34-14.1 kernel package?
>
> Ah ha!  That was the tip!  The linuxtv site talked about running a
> script named  "build" to _build_ the drivers.

<snip>

> and that worked.
>
> Unfortunately, the Hauppauge HD-PVR still doesn't work.  It is brand new
> and my googling doesn't turn up anything for one this new.  So I suspect
> that even the git version hasn't started to address it.  :-(

You have a recent-ish kernel to build against, you have the device for
which you wish to build the driver(s) . . . why not ask for help from
the maintainers of the driver(s)? Assuming you would be willing to
perform various test-builds, most package maintainers would be willing
to work with an end user who has new (currently) unsupported hardware.
It would be a synergistic process -- you get a working device, the
maintainers have some code enhancements tested "in the wild".

> Thanks for all your help.  It was that which finally got me to the right
> place.  And thanks for "pinging" the net for folks to lend a hand.  It's
> this kind of support from linux gurus which keeps me using linux.

You're welcome. :)

Regards,
Alan.