[elrepo] How long does kernel release stay in the downloads area?

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue Oct 9 20:17:47 EDT 2012

On 04/10/12 18:49, Antonio Dupont wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Akemi Yagi<toracat at elrepo.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Steve Clark<sclark at netwolves.com>  wrote:
>>> On 10/03/2012 05:57 PM, Antonio Dupont wrote:
>>>

>   Hello Akemi,
>
> Thank you for the reply.   The kernel-ml-3.5.4-1.el6.elrepo.
> i686.rpm version of the kernel looks to be the one that I will be using to
> be verified by a third party.
>
> I do understand that this is for testing purposes and we do test thoroughly
> before we would potentially use it in a production scenario.  To be honest,
> I feel more comfortable use this one than one that I compiled myself, since
> many others get to put their hands on it.
>
> Thanks for all your efforts.  El Repo has help me many of times.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Antonio
>

>>> I'm making a build that I will install over and over again and it needs
>>> be verified by a 3rd party.
>>>
>>> One of the verification steps is to confirm the location that a piece of
>>> software was downloaded from.
>>>
>>> How long will a kernel release from El Repo stay in the download area
>>> (http://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el6/i386/RPMS/
>>>
>>> kernel-ml-3.5.4-1.el6.elrepo.i686.rpm)?
>>>

>>> It looks like an update replace a previous version and the previous
>> version
>>> removed.  Is there any place the previous versions are retained?
>>>
>>> Thanks very much for your help in advance.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Antonio
>>>
>>> Hi Antonio,
>>>
>>> I too would like to see an archive of the kernel-ml kernels.
>>
>> It will help if we know in what situation older versions of kernel-ml
>> are desired/needed. As you are all aware, kernel-ml is offered for
>> testing purposes only. Running it in production may cause security
>> issues unless it is kept up-to-date.
>>
>> Technically, we may be able to keep a few versions in the archival
>> area if requested.
>>
>> Akemi

Just an update on this request.

After some discussion we have established that it is possible to provide
an archive of the kernel repository containing the kernel-ml packages.

There was some hesitancy on our behalf given the security implications
associated with older outdated kernels, but given our disclaimers
already in place and the fact that providers such as Red Hat have no
issue in keeping older packages indefinitely available to users, we
shall endeavour to do likewise.

To this end setting up of a kernel archive is in progress. It will
appear on mirrors that currently carry the elrepo archive (for a list
please see the Download section: http://elrepo.org/tiki/Download for
mirrors with archive appended).

We will endeavour to retrieve old packages from backups where possible
to populate the archive and will archive current kernel-ml packages
moving forward.

Again we stress these packages are not intended for production use and
that older versions will likely contain security issues so use at your
own risk.

Thanks for your support,

Phil