[elrepo] kernel/kernel-lts separation

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Wed Oct 10 17:57:59 EDT 2012

On 10 October 2012 22:24, Phil Perry <phil at elrepo.org> wrote:
> On 10/10/12 19:29, Alan Bartlett wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to advertise my ignorance -- for what does the 'LTS'
>> abbreviation stand, please?
>
> LTS = Long Term Service (although this is more of an Ubuntuism than a tern
> used by kernel.org who prefer simply "longterm" kernel). As of Jan 2012,
> 3.0.y is the new "longterm" kernel release.
>>
>> What I am currently supporting for EL6 --
>>
>> In brief, the 3.0 series and the (latest) 3.6 series.
>
> So if we named these packages as:
>
> kernel-ml for the current mainline kernel
>
> and
>
> kernel-lt or kernel-lts for the current longterm kernel (3.0.y)
>
> then users could pick one or the other (or even both) and have yum update
> them without newer versions overriding updates to older releases.
>>
>> What I am currently supporting for EL5 --
>>
>> Just the 3.0 series.

Thank you for that eloquent clarification.

So let's try to move this on. As it is currently "my move", I shall
confirm that I am prepared to "smile" at the suggestion of kernel-lt
and kernel-ml. To begin with, I would need to perform a small
operation upon a copy of the kernel-ml specification file to create
that of kernel-lt. Perhaps others will now like to think things
through to completion. Then the ELRepo Project Administrators can have
a private discussion and, ultimately, share the results of our
deliberations with the user-base.

Alan.