[elrepo] Kernel-lt and the Future

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Thu Aug 8 15:57:41 EDT 2013

On 08/08/13 20:36, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> On 8 August 2013 16:45, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
>>
>> For Enterprise Linux 5, I shall base its kernel-lt package set on the
>> linux-3.2 branch. I have rather abruptly 'bumped' the configuration
>> files and have the first release candidate package set available for
>> testing.
>
> The configuration files have now been refined and 'polished'. As a
> consequence, the second release candidate has now been made available.
>
> The files may be downloaded from:
>
> http://elrepo.org/people/ajb/devel/kernel-lt/el5/
>
> Alan.

I was able to boot the following kernel:

kernel-lt-3.2.50-0.rc2.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

into runlevel 3 (couldn't boot rl5 as no nvidia drivers on a non-kABI
kernel).

I needed to apply the hardware clock (RTC) hack detailed in the known
issues here:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt

Other than that, it boots and I can log in and it shuts down. No further
testing was performed.

Phil

PS - Hardware was Intel quad core CPU, 2 x SATA HDs in Linux RAID1