[elrepo] Kernel-lt and the Future

Trevor Hemsley themsley at voiceflex.com
Thu Aug 8 18:44:39 EDT 2013

On 08/08/13 20:57, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 08/08/13 20:36, Alan Bartlett wrote:
>> On 8 August 2013 16:45, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> For Enterprise Linux 5, I shall base its kernel-lt package set on the
>>> linux-3.2 branch. I have rather abruptly 'bumped' the configuration
>>> files and have the first release candidate package set available for
>>> testing.
>>
>> The configuration files have now been refined and 'polished'. As a
>> consequence, the second release candidate has now been made available.
>>
>> The files may be downloaded from:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/people/ajb/devel/kernel-lt/el5/
>>
>> Alan.
>
> I was able to boot the following kernel:
>
> kernel-lt-3.2.50-0.rc2.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>
> into runlevel 3 (couldn't boot rl5 as no nvidia drivers on a non-kABI
> kernel).
>
> I needed to apply the hardware clock (RTC) hack detailed in the known
> issues here:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt
>
> Other than that, it boots and I can log in and it shuts down. No
> further testing was performed.
>
> Phil
>
> PS - Hardware was Intel quad core CPU, 2 x SATA HDs in Linux RAID1

Does the lsusb command still function on a 3.2 kernel? At some point the
interface to usb devices in /proc changes and lsusb from el5 does
nothing. Copying lsusb.py from an el6 system to el5 does work and nearly
does the same things. Nearly.

I've just tested 3.10.5 on an el5 VM and that too passes the same tests
as above. Boots to runlevel 3, gives RTC errors but the patch that Phil
refers to does not work for me but I am not using the same .config so
perhaps I am missing the replacement rtc_*.ko modules.

By the way, while on that subject, cutting and pasting the rtc patch
from the web page does not work directly since the formatting on the
page neglects to indent the lines that don't start with + so patch
--dry-run says "malformed patch file". Similarly the link just above
that leads to a 404 so it can't be downloaded either.

Since 3.2 is being maintained as a long term kernel for Debian Wheezy,
it has support until at least 2016 where all the others expire sooner
than that - even 3.10 only lasts until 2015.