[elrepo] touchpad driver availability?

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Thu Aug 22 12:40:18 EDT 2013

On 21/08/13 15:41, Ahmed wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 03:56 PM, Phil Perry wrote:

>>> In this case you should file a bug at http://bugzilla.redhat.com, RHEL
>>> 6, the kernel component
>>>

>> In addition to Wolfy's suggestion, can you also confirm which driver
>> is being used, and the last kernel in which it worked plus the first
>> kernel in which it is broken. We may then be able to find the
>> regression and provide an interim fix until Red Hat is able to fix the
>> issue more permanently.
>>

> touchpad working in kernel
> 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64
>
> problem in the following kernel after running full system update
> 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64
>
> because i am a novice centos user, kindly let me know how can i confirm
> which driver is being used (which command to issue at command prompt)?

No disrespect intended, but I'm afraid you are going to have to do a LOT
more work to narrow down what (and where) the issue might be.

You've gone from a base 6.0 installation where it worked to a fully
updated 6.4 system where you now need to enable the trackpad on each
boot. You really need to narrow down which update caused the system to
break. It could be anything - it could be the kernel but just as likely
it could be something in Xorg or gnome. Your system will have received
hundreds of updates

You might be able to eliminate some possibilities. For example, you
could try elrepo's kernel-ml and kernel-lt packages which provide newer
kernels and boot these to test if it works. If it works with either of
these newer kernels then we might assume it is indeed an issue with the
kernel driver. However, if the problem persists then I think we can rule
out the kernel.

What happens when you now boot to your original 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64
kernel? Does it work then?

IMHO I really don't think it's a kernel driver issue, or at least not
one that an updated driver is going to fix - if it were I would not
expect it to work when you enable the device in gnome-mouse-properties.
This says to me it's more likely an issue in gnome/Xorg

You could try to establish if it's a gnome issue by booting into KDE and
seeing if it works under than Desktop Environment.

You could go back to a fresh base 6.0 install and try updating one
component at a time to find out what causes it to break. First just
update the kernel, reboot and test. Does it still work? Then try
updating Xorg, and repeat. Then gnome etc.

Anyway, you get the idea - you need to eliminate some of the
possibilities to help narrow the search.