[elrepo] touchpad driver availability?

Ahmed ahmed.daud500 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 09:24:53 EDT 2013

On 08/22/2013 09:40 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 21/08/13 15:41, Ahmed wrote:

>>> In addition to Wolfy's suggestion, can you also confirm which driver
>>> is being used, and the last kernel in which it worked plus the first
>>> kernel in which it is broken. We may then be able to find the
>>> regression and provide an interim fix until Red Hat is able to fix the
>>> issue more permanently.
>>>

>> touchpad working in kernel
>> 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64
>>
>> problem in the following kernel after running full system update
>> 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64
>>
>> because i am a novice centos user, kindly let me know how can i confirm
>> which driver is being used (which command to issue at command prompt)?
>>

> No disrespect intended, but I'm afraid you are going to have to do a
> LOT more work to narrow down what (and where) the issue might be.
>
> You've gone from a base 6.0 installation where it worked to a fully
> updated 6.4 system where you now need to enable the trackpad on each
> boot. You really need to narrow down which update caused the system to
> break. It could be anything - it could be the kernel but just as
> likely it could be something in Xorg or gnome. Your system will have
> received hundreds of updates
>
> You might be able to eliminate some possibilities. For example, you
> could try elrepo's kernel-ml and kernel-lt packages which provide
> newer kernels and boot these to test if it works. If it works with
> either of these newer kernels then we might assume it is indeed an
> issue with the kernel driver. However, if the problem persists then I
> think we can rule out the kernel.
>
> What happens when you now boot to your original 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64
> kernel? Does it work then?
>
> IMHO I really don't think it's a kernel driver issue, or at least not
> one that an updated driver is going to fix - if it were I would not
> expect it to work when you enable the device in
> gnome-mouse-properties. This says to me it's more likely an issue in
> gnome/Xorg
>
> You could try to establish if it's a gnome issue by booting into KDE
> and seeing if it works under than Desktop Environment.
>
> You could go back to a fresh base 6.0 install and try updating one
> component at a time to find out what causes it to break. First just
> update the kernel, reboot and test. Does it still work? Then try
> updating Xorg, and repeat. Then gnome etc.
>
> Anyway, you get the idea - you need to eliminate some of the
> possibilities to help narrow the search.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. i am using KDE as my default
desktop environment and gnome is also installed in my centos box. when i
login using KDE or Gnome, each time i issued the command
gnome-mouse-properties. it effectively make the touchpad work.

secondly, i already told that when i switched back to the old kernel, my
touchpad works as intended. no problem at all.

lastly, yeah i got the idea to install a fresh vm and then try to update
the system one by one in the manner you suggested. After then i can be
able to let you know what happened with those updates.

Thank you very much