[elrepo] Intel VGA Controller

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Tue Jan 15 13:24:20 EST 2013

Hi Earl,

On 15 January 2013 14:15, Earl A Ramirez <earlaramirez at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have booted into run level 3 and invoke startx, however I do not see any
> errors because the screen goes blank with the dash on the top left corner of
> the screen.

O.k. So that definitely confirms a problem with the 'X' server
configuration or the drivers available for your video chipset. (Which
is not my area of expertise.)

> Below is the content of the Xorg.5.log after I have booted with the stock
> CentOS kernel.

That may show something useful . . . perhaps others would care to comment?

What it does do is to give you a template for an xorg.conf file that
you could hand-craft and drop into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
directory.

[code]
> [    44.640]     Section "Device"
> [    44.640]         Identifier    "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
> [    44.640]         Driver    "intel"
> [    44.640]     EndSection
> [    44.640]     Section "Screen"
> [    44.640]         Identifier    "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
> [    44.640]         Device    "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
> [    44.640]     EndSection
> [    44.640]     Section "Device"
> [    44.640]         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> [    44.641]         Driver    "vesa"
> [    44.641]     EndSection
> [    44.641]     Section "Screen"
> [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
> [    44.641]         Device    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> [    44.641]     EndSection
> [    44.641]     Section "Device"
> [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
> [    44.641]         Driver    "fbdev"
> [    44.641]     EndSection
> [    44.641]     Section "Screen"
> [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
> [    44.641]         Device    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
> [    44.641]     EndSection
> [    44.641]     Section "ServerLayout"
> [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default Layout"
> [    44.641]         Screen    "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
> [    44.641]         Screen    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
> [    44.641]         Screen    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
> [    44.641]     EndSection
[/code]

Copy / paste the above section into a file and the strip off the "> [
  44.640]     " or "> [    44.641]     " (as appropriate) that is at
the beginning of each line. That will then be your basic template
xorg.conf file. (Keep a pristine copy safe, somewhere else.) Hopefully
other subscribers to this list will be able to suggest lines to add to
or remove from your working copy. (/etc/X11/xord.conf.d/xorg.conf) It
should be possible to get that basic display to work in graphical mode
by that method. (I'm not the person able to assist you,
unfortunately.)

> I am not too familiar with the RFE process can you shed some light on this
> or point me in the right direction?

As for opening an RFE (request for enhancement), just go to the ELRepo
bug tracker [1], open a ticket against the existing xorg-x11-drv-intel
package and ask for it to be updated to the latest version. Etc. :)

There's no magic involved. By making the request that way, you will
ensure that it is seen by all the Admin staff and the current package
maintainer.

@ELRepo Project community members -- Please join in if you feel you
can assist Earl with getting a working basic graphical interface with
his system

Alan.

[1] http://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php