[elrepo] Atheros 8161 Gigabit ethernet controller

D. R. Hardy drhardy84 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 14:27:27 EST 2014

Greetings;

I am given to understand that I can use one of the kmod-alx drivers to get
a RHEL 6.5 machine's Atheros 8161 ethernet controller working (supplied
with HP Pavilion).  I'm a RHEL subscriber with a developer license and have
opened a problem report and gone through multiple procedures and internet
searches and come up short.

My machine has zero internet access at present and I also understand that I
need to do the updates first before I can utilize any ethernet drivers.
 But I can't get the updates without the net;  chicken-and-egg scenario
here, as sneakernet and USB sticks are limited in this regard.

Meanwhile there are four different kmod-alx drivers at elrepo;  which one
to use?

Any thoughts, advice, would be helpful and much appreciated.

Regards,

davidx