[elrepo] Announcement: EL6 and EL7 Updated NVIDIA drivers [375.20]

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Nov 21 14:53:55 EST 2016

On 21/11/16 18:46, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 12:00:41AM +0000, Phil Perry wrote:
>> Announcing the release of updated NVIDIA 375.20 packages ...
>>
>> Packages for el7 require the 7.3 kernel ...
>>

> the CentOS 7.3 kernels are not available (see https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60132)
>
> is it possible at all for ELREPO to provide nvidia packages for the current release of CentOS? (7.2 as opposed to the *future* release 7.3).

Elrepo supports RHEL and it's clones. All our packages are built on RHEL
for RHEL. Inevitably from time to time it takes the clones a while to
catch up with updates and I know the guys at CentOS are working flat out
to get their product out the door asap.

Unfortunately, in the case of the kmod-nvidia package, because the
driver uses kernel symbols that are not on RH's kABI whitelist, the
driver is neither backward nor forward-compatible with kernels other
than the kernel series it is built against. Thus, if we were to continue
building against the old 7.2 kernel it would cause systems running
genuine RHEL to break when updated to 7.3 (and any other clones who
release 7.3 before CentOS). Whilst it may be frustrating for CentOS
users, this solution does least harm and doesn't break anyone's system
in the meantime.

So your perspective will influence your view of what is current, what is
old and what is a future release.

I'm sure CentOS will release their new kernel soon so hopefully you can
hang on a few more days before updating your nvidia drivers :-)