[elrepo] Heads Up: RHEL 7.4 beta kernel breaks kmod-nvidia driver

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue Jun 13 17:01:42 EDT 2017

On 13/06/17 21:33, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> I just tested the RHEL 7.4 beta kernel on a RHEL 7.3 system, and the
> kmod-nvidia package doesn't load.  Here's the output when trying to
> install the package:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not surprised, to date the nvidia package
has broken for every major RHEL7 release so we will need to rebuild it
against the final RHEL 7.4 kernel as soon as it is released. We normally
aim to get that done within 24h of the upstream release.

There's not much point building it now against the beta kernel as that
will change again for the final RHEL 7.4 release.

But good to know - nvidia users will need to hold off updating (or at
least rebooting) to the 7.4 kernel until nvidia updates are available,
and then update both at the same time.

Phil

PS - did you want a kmod-nvidia build for the 7.4 beta kernel to allow
you to continue testing? We don't normally build or release these but
it's easy enough for me to build it.