[elrepo] Updated 8818AU driver, please

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 06:10:14 EST 2018

On 05/03/2018 22:51, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 05/03/18 20:29, Nick Howitt wrote:

>>> Hi Phil,
>>> I have not tried compiling anything because I don't know what magic
>>> you do. I can give it a go and see what happens. I am puzzled about
>>> the sources because I tried searching github for rtl8188au and only
>>> the lwfinger sources appeared so I must searching incorrectly. I
>>> agree about the realtek site. I tried searching there as well.
>>> Yours puzzled,
>>> Nick
>> Google-fu working better:
>> https://github.com/zebulon2/rtl8812au-driver-5.2.20 and
>> https://github.com/gordboy/rtl8812au. I've never compiled dkms stuff
>> before ....
>>
>> Nick
>
> These are originally imported from Realtek. For example, see the
> Realtek changelog from your last link:
>
> https://github.com/gordboy/rtl8812au/blob/a20632c756bd8bd84eb1cb93ac6609d11cd87343/Realtek_Changelog.txt
>

> Still, briefly looking at the code I anticipate huge issues getting
> the code to build on el7. The issue is the code uses many conditionals
> based on the linux kernel version. The code views the el7 kernel as a
> 3.10 kernel, but Red Hat has backported the wireless stack from
> kernel-4.11 in el7.4 which is most likely why your builds fail.
>
> To be brutally honest, it's generally not worth the effort trying to
> fix this, as even if we do fix it, it will break again next month when
> Red Hat release el7.5 with a backported wireless stack based upon
> kernel-4.14. Rather than me/us trying to fix it, I would request
> Realtek provide a driver that supports RHEL and let them do the hard
> work, or not buy their hardware.
>
> I would put your unsupported hardware back in it's box and stick it on
> a shelf until such time as it is natively supported, and buy something
> that works out of the box. For example, I recently purchased an Edimax
> N150 nano USB adapter (EW-7811Un) for less than $10 on Amazon which is
> natively supported and works fine out of the box on el7 (based on
> Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset, uses the rtl8192cu driver), replacing a
> failing internal WiFi adapter in my laptop.

I'm giving up. I've found references to v4.3.8 compiling OK. I found
those at
https://github.com/ulli-kroll/rtl8821au/tree/original/v4.3.8/vanilla and
they compile with a couple of warnings. I can modprobe the resulting .ko
but it is never used or associated with the NIC so ifcfg files never get
created and so on.

I'm just looking out for a cheap adaptor to play with to try out n and
ac 5GHz configurations on the server. I'll start hunting again. I
thought I had it sorted, but it is hard to get the PCI/USB ID's in
advance of buying the adaptor.

Nick