[elrepo] kernel-lt and kernel-ml updates for Meltdown and Spectre

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Mar 10 04:39:33 EST 2018

On 10/03/18 01:23, David Ranch wrote:

> Thanks for the news!
>
> Now the next big question, taking a kernel compile as the use case: does
> anyone have any benchmarks on the built time pre and post BIOS, CPU
> Instruction, and Compiler fixes say for a non-cutting edge CPU from Intel?
>
> --David
>

>  > STATUS: NOT VULNERABLE (Mitigation: Full generic retpoline)

Hi David,

We have not done any specific performance measurements, but I note a
couple of Red Hat articles on the subject:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/3307751
https://access.redhat.com/articles/3311301

and there could be further differences between RHEL and elrepo kernels
which may or may not be Meltdown/Spectre/retpoline related.

Google will no doubt find you more articles, and you now have the tools
to make your own assessment for the throughputs and benchmarks that
matter to you.

The only benchmark I routinely run is glmark2 for our nvidia driver
releases and I haven't observed any measurable differences pre/post
Meltdown/Spectre that do not fall within normal tolerances of the tests.