[elrepo] kernel-lt and kernel-ml updates for Meltdown and Spectre

Dave Chiluk dchiluk at indeed.com
Tue Mar 13 15:50:16 EDT 2018

Those articles are all well and good, but the direction that upstream
took for enabling/disabling ibpb and ibrs are available in
Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt.  The RHEL sysfs
mechanisms do not exist in the mainline kernels.

Here's the relevant portion of the admin guide.

"
    spectre_v2= [X86] Control mitigation of Spectre variant 2
            (indirect branch speculation) vulnerability.

            on   - unconditionally enable
            off  - unconditionally disable
            auto - kernel detects whether your CPU model is
                   vulnerable

            Selecting 'on' will, and 'auto' may, choose a
            mitigation method at run time according to the
            CPU, the available microcode, the setting of the
            CONFIG_RETPOLINE configuration option, and the
            compiler with which the kernel was built.

            Specific mitigations can also be selected manually:

            retpoline     - replace indirect branches
            retpoline,generic - google's original retpoline
            retpoline,amd     - AMD-specific minimal thunk

            Not specifying this option is equivalent to
            spectre_v2=auto.
"

Let us know if/when you get benchmarks as I think we'd all like to know.

Happy benching.

Dave.