[elrepo] USB wireless adapter not working (4.15)

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sat Mar 17 12:44:43 EDT 2018

On 17 March 2018 at 14:34, Nick Howitt <nick at howitts.co.uk> wrote:
> No. The whole point of the link is to use the wext driver instead of the
> default nl80211 so use -Dwext. Also they have bypassed the
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file and coded the SSID and password
> directly, so try:
>
>    wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -c <(wpa_passphrase "ESSID" "PASSWORD") -i
>    wlp36s0f3u3
>
> or, perhaps:
>
>    wpa_supplicant -i wlp36s0f3u3 -Dwext -c
>    /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
>
> Note I've never done any of this before myself but I've been researching it
> a bit recently for other reasons
>
> Nick
>

> On 17/03/2018 12:00, Mahmood Naderan wrote:
>>
>> Since there is no internet connection on that machine, the only way is
>> to stick with wpa_supplicant. In the link that Nick provided, the
>> command is
>>
>> wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -c <(wpa_passphrase "ESSID" "PASSWORD") -i wlan0
>>
>> Mine was
>>
>> wpa_supplicant -i wlp36s0f3u3 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>> -B
>>
>> Should I change -c option?
>> Moreover, should I use -Dr8188eu ?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Mahmood
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Phil Perry <phil at elrepo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> For anyone venturing down this route, I note the nux-desktop repo has the
>>> wicd packages :-)
>>>r8188eu

Just coming back to this problem to explain the situation for Mahmood . . .

The tests you have performed show that the vanilla r8188eu driver
(from upstream, at kernel.org) has been identified and correctly
loaded into the running kernel-ml. In essence, there is no problem
with the kernel-ml package. The problem arises with the way userland
support software that is shipped with RHEL 7 (and, thus, part of
Scientific Linux 7 and CentOS 7) interacts with the driver.

Ideally Realtek should update their r8188eu driver code and submit it
for inclusion in the upstream kernel sources (at kernel.org). Until
that time occurs, modifications to the userland utilities called will
be necessary to use the driver module for your USB dongle.

Alan.