[elrepo] Graphics Driver for AMD Radeon Pro WX-series

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Mar 19 07:09:13 EDT 2018

On 03/19/2018 11:54 AM, Kretschmer, Jens wrote:
> Hi,

Hello

> we are looking into buying a Radeon Pro WX-series graphics card. We
> are still unsure which driver we will use.  I saw that kmod-fglrx has
> been retired.
Yes, it was retired for EL7 but it is also was useless nowadays as it
only supported older hardware and for older RHEL releases ( it was no
longer compatible with the  version of Xorg included in EL7.4 ). It can
still be used on RHEL6 for now ( I use it on the very system I am typing
from )

> Our contact at RedHat could not tell us whether the series is
> supported in the open source AMD driver.

I have not yet seen an ATI chipset non functional with the open source
driver. However on several occasions it was not optimal, such as not
really accelerating anything or not being able to drive multiple
monitors at full resolution. As you suspect it is quite possible that
the chipset you are interested in is not fully supported by the open
source driver for now.

> Our requirement is basically full support of OpenGL 3.2. Does anybody
> have experience using Radeon Pro WX-series graphics cards, if yes,
> which driver are you using and how is your experience? Are there any
> plans to include the proprietary graphics driver provided by AMD into
> ELRepo?

     That chipset seems to be supported by
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation?os=Linux+x86_64#pro-driver.
To cut a long story short, AMD started ( last year, IIRC ) to provide "a
few" rpms ( read that as "dozens" ) which supposedly work with the
latest incarnations of EL6 and EL7. Based on the name ("amdgpu-dkms")
the relevant parts might be able to be rebuilt, in a proper env, once
the kernel is updated thus avoiding the need for a reinstall. Due to
lack of need ( I only use / have access to APUs), I was never able to
test those packages. And as you probably guessed already, given the
sheer number of packages and the lack of hardware to test on, for now I
am not able ( and not interested, to be fully honest ) to repackage
those drivers.

         Manuel