[elrepo] Working. This may take some time message

Harry Mallon Harry.Mallon at codex.online
Mon Mar 26 05:17:06 EDT 2018

Harry Mallon
CODEX | Senior Software Engineer
60 Poland Street | London | England | W1F 7NT
E harry.mallon at codex.online | T +44 203 7000 989
> On 24/03/2018, 11:04, "Phil Perry" <phil at elrepo.org> wrote:
>> On 23/03/18 16:48, Harry Mallon wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is the “Working. This may take some time” useful at all? From our use on
>> CentOS7 it seems like all of the output of the scripts is bundled up
>> together, so you only see “Working. This may take some time” with all
>> the other output after the fact. Maybe with DNF rather than YUM it works
>> better or some other case? It might be nice to remove it if it has no
>> use to clean up install output.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Harry
>>

>    Hi Harry,
>
>    This was introduced back in the early days of RHEL5, and is displayed at
>    the appropriate time when using 'rpm', but as you identify output under
>    yum is bundled together and displayed at a less opportune moment.
>
>    The original purpose was to indicate to the user that there may be a
>    significant delay whilst dracut updates the initramfs for each kernel
>    installed on the system (the more installed kernels, the longer it
>    takes). Previously some users thought their systems had "hung" and tried
>    to escape out of the installation process.
>
>    I'm inclined to leave it there on the basis it causes no harm, and still
>    serves it's original educational purpose even if yum fails to display
>    the message at the most opportune moment in time. We've not since had a
>    user report thinking the process had hung.
>
>    Happy to discuss further,
>
>    Phil

Hi Phil,

That sounds fair to me, it definitely causes no harm as you say (just a little untidy). I just wanted to pipe up in case it was something people weren't seeing the use of any more.

Thanks,
Harry