[elrepo] Working. This may take some time message

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Mar 24 07:04:58 EDT 2018

On 23/03/18 16:48, Harry Mallon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is the “Working. This may take some time” useful at all? From our use on
> CentOS7 it seems like all of the output of the scripts is bundled up
> together, so you only see “Working. This may take some time” with all
> the other output after the fact. Maybe with DNF rather than YUM it works
> better or some other case? It might be nice to remove it if it has no
> use to clean up install output.
>
> All the best,
>
> Harry

Hi Harry,

This was introduced back in the early days of RHEL5, and is displayed at
the appropriate time when using 'rpm', but as you identify output under
yum is bundled together and displayed at a less opportune moment.

The original purpose was to indicate to the user that there may be a
significant delay whilst dracut updates the initramfs for each kernel
installed on the system (the more installed kernels, the longer it
takes). Previously some users thought their systems had "hung" and tried
to escape out of the installation process.

I'm inclined to leave it there on the basis it causes no harm, and still
serves it's original educational purpose even if yum fails to display
the message at the most opportune moment in time. We've not since had a
user report thinking the process had hung.

Happy to discuss further,

Phil