[elrepo] Will there be an update to 5.10.x?

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon May 30 15:53:33 EDT 2022

There are two train of thoughts on this.

Firstly is that any LTS offering should be just that - long term, and
for Enterprise Linux that generally means as long as possible. Anyone
developing against that kernel wants that long term support, not
something that is chopping and changing every few years to some other
LTS offering with a completely incompatible ABI. Here kernel-lt actually
offers something the distro kernel does not as the ABI is a lot more
consistent in kernel-lt than it will be in the distro kernel over the
lifespan of the product.

The second train of thought is that 5.4.x is going to be horribly
outdated - probably already is horribly outdated - and a switch to a
newer LTS offering would hence make sense, as long as you don't
subscribe to the first train of thought.

One could argue that anyone wanting a newer offering may be better off
switching back to the distro kernel at some point in time, as with
active backporting, many parts of the distro kernel(s) are now
considerably 'newer' than that in 5.4.x, so it may be that the very
reason you started using kernel-lt in the first place has since been
negated. Or if you absolutely must have something newer then there is
kernel-ml

Unfortunately we simply do not have the resources to be able to commit
to offering both, and this being Enterprise Linux we settled on the
first train of thought. Had it been fedora or Ubuntu we may well have
taken the second approach, but it's not. The practicalities of this
generally mean that there will likely be 2 versions of kernel-lt for any
major release of RHEL so long as upstream retain their current ~5-6 year
LTS support regime.

Hope that helps explain a little of the thinking behind the strategy.

Phil