[elrepo] issue with kmod-atl1c

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Wed Mar 24 10:37:18 EDT 2010

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>
>> zhihua_ch at sohu.com wrote:
>>>   To  * Dag Wieers: *
>>> when I input 'uname -mr', output is '2.6.18-164.el5xen x86_64'
>>> input ' rpm -qa kernel\* | sort', output is 'kernel 2.6.18-164.el5
>>> kernel-headers-2.6.18-164.el5 kernel-xen-2.6.18-164.el5
>>> kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-164.el5 '
>>> input 'find /lib/modules -name atl1c.ko -exec ls -ld {} \;'
>>> output is '-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 134864 Mar 24 11:22
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5xen/extra/atl1c/atl1c.ko'
>>> output is all above.the network card cannot use.
>>> what about the problem, how can I use the kmod rpm package?
>> you seem to be using it correctly, it's basically install the rpm and
>> you're done (though sometimes a reboot helps).
>>
>> you could try
>> modprobe -v atl1c
>>
>> if it fails, dmesg might be informative.
>>
>> as a last resort possibly reboot, since you're doing stuff to the
>> running kernel it's possible something got messed up?
>
> It's most likely a problem with the Xen kernel and the driver. We have had
> issues like this with other drivers as well. The obvious solution for
> running virtualization with specific custom drivers is to migrate to KVM.
>
> I know that is not always possible, but you may have no choice. Either
> have no atl1c or no Xen.

Indeed. I was recently looking at kmod-nvidia and xen again, and
although the module compiles cleanly against the xen kernel, and will
even load (modprobe) into the kernel, it still hangs the system starting
X. So it's simply a case of not knowing until you actually test the
module with a xen kernel, and unfortunately we simply don't have the
hardware available to fully test every configuration for the vast
majority of drivers we package.

Perhaps another user of kmod-atl1c might be able to verify whether
kmod-atl1c-xen works for them. If we know/can confirm it doesn't work
then we can withdraw the package for xen and save other users waiting
their time.