[elrepo] Kernel-ml Packages for EL6

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Thu Aug 4 15:59:52 EDT 2011

On 4 July 2011 00:33, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:

> Steve Clark (of NetWolves [1]) has now opened an REF at the bug
> tracker [2]. On behalf of Dag (Wieers) and Nux, I have waved my
> wizard's wand so that they are now linked to that RFE in a monitoring
> capacity.
>
> If there is anyone else reading this message who is interested, please
> add your comment(s) to the RFE [2].
>
> In particular, I would be interested to know whether the default RHEL
> 6 configuration should be enhanced (as has been done with the
> kernel-ml packages for EL5) or should be kept "as is".
>
> This is your chance to have an influence at the planned stage.

> [1] http://www.netwolves.com/
> [2] http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=153

Hi All,

This is just a quick update to let you know that I have not forgotten
/ abandoned / otherwise given up on this sub-project. :)

The current status is that the following command line will provide me
with the relevant packages in the the BUILDROOT/ directory --

for ARCH in i686 x86_64 i386 noarch
do rpmbuild -bc --target $ARCH kernel-ml-2.*.spec
done

Essentially, I now just need to refine the spec file from the call of
the %install macro to EOF.

As requested, I have incorporated the code to build the non-PAE kernel
packages and have, after consideration of the suggestions made,
decided to name them "NONPAE".

Now another request for your input, please. What should I do with the
kernel-ml-firmware package? If you cannot immediately see the
significance of my question, consider what I had to do with the
kernel-headers for EL5. No doubt our friendly RPM packaging guru, Dag
Wieers, will make a few comments but I would like all of you so
interested to discuss it here, please. If I do not join in the
discussion, or otherwise respond, please be aware that I will still be
following the proceedings with interest. My ultimate choice will be as
a result of your deliberations.

Regards,
Alan.