[elrepo] thank you, kernel-ml is a life saver for i5-2410M laptop user

Akemi Yagi toracat at elrepo.org
Tue Dec 13 15:31:56 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM, pikeman <pikeman at pikeman.sytes.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a lenovo v370 notebook, which has a i5-2410M cpu, intel HD3000
> graphic and put in 8G of RAM, it has a WD 7200 rpm 2.5" 500G harddrive,
> using AHCI.
>
> First I put Fedora 15 x64 on it, installed mysql-server and mysql-bench, did
> all the updates.
> I noticed that mysql-bench test is very slow, ususally slow on create and
> insert test... on my other quad core intel 775 or amd 6 core desktop, the
> total finish time is around 800 seconds,
> using Fedora 15, the create test alone took 1700 seconds and my system load
> is 2.00 , the harddrive light is constantly on during create. The insert
> test took forever... I waited for one hour and it didn't finish...
> that is not good.
>
> So, I put in Scientific Linux 6.x x64 next, this time it run faster than
> Fedora 15, but still very slow, and the graphic is using vesa driver doing
> 1024x768... the intel driver cound't find the device.
> On the quest to fix my graphic display, I started trying all elrepo
> xorg-x11-drv-intel packages, and tried the kernel-ml kernel....
>
> to my surprise, under kernel-ml kernel, my sql-bench test finished under 600
> seconds, create only took 40 seconds. my system load is very light while it
> was running...
> total test finished around 600 seconds, faster than intell Q9550 and AMD
> 1055T desktop computers.
>
> Anyway, it made my i5-2410M laptop performing nicely.... I think other linux
> kernels still have some bugs on sandybridge laptops, maybe with disk caching
> or something is blocking the write. Your kernel-ml kernel made it much much
> better.
>
> BTW, to allow the intel graphic driver to work, I didn't really need a new
> kernel, I only had to put in i915.modeset=1 in grub.conf to get intel driver
> to work.
>
> I just want to say thank you for the great kernel, it made my laptop running
> as it should.
(snip)

Hi pikeman,

On behalf of the ELRepo Team (especially Alan Bartlett who did all the
hard work), I would like to thank you for taking the time and
reporting back with the detailed analysis of kernel-ml.  We are
pleased to learn you had such positive results. It is this kind of
response that encourages us to keep going with much enthusiasm. Of
course, we need problem reports as well, but ...  :-)

Alan is working on the next goal which is to make the 3.x.y series of
kernel-ml available. So, stay tuned.

Thanks again,

Akemi