[elrepo] Intel video on CentOS 6.4: got the 'GPU hung' error :-(

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 16:03:28 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Andrey Zhunev <a-j at a-j.ru> wrote:

> My spouse just called me and said she cannot start a video. She
> restarted the frontend, but video playback was still not working.

That's funny, because that's *exactly* how I was first alerted to my
problems.  :)

After a reboot, everything works fine again.

If your problems are like mine, it's only a matter of time before it
happens again.  Hopefully it was just a fluke though.

So, the problem is there. Is there anything I can do about it?
> Ok, going back to NVidia is also an option, of course... :)

I created a playback profile in MythTV that basically just uses opengl for
everything where applicable, and ffmpeg (i.e. software) for decoding.
 IIRC, I think I have de-interlacing disabled, as either broadcast in my
area is not interlaced, or my TV does it for me.  It sounds like
de-interlacing is a hard requirement for you, so you'll have to do
experiments to see if the CPU alone is good enough (well, I'm sure it can
do basic de-interlacing, but I guess the question is, can it do the same
quality as vaapi or vdpau).

I'm not at home now, and can't remember the exact settings of my playback
profile, but can send them to you later if you're interested.  I'd bet that
the only reason you'd need to go back to nvidia is if your CPU can't do
deinterlacing to your standard.

Depending on how much time you have, you could also try to debug the Intel
vaapi issue.  It's been a while since I've asked around on various forums
for help... maybe it's worth another round of asking around various
community forums?

I was going to try to hack elrepo's xorg-x11-drv-intel source rpm to build
against my supporting packages (i.e. all from upstream/CentOS repos), as
well as with the newest intel driver source, and see what happened.  That's
if I can find the time...

-Matt