[elrepo] Possible addition of more kernel modules in future Centos6 kernels?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 13:35:56 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
> On 3 June 2017 at 17:24, David Ranch <elrepo at trinnet.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Akemi,
>>
>> In your original request you said "Centos6 kernels". Did you actually mean
>> EL7?
>>

>> No... I'm still using EL6 on one machine but it's getting long in the tooth
>> so I'm now trying to roll out EL7.  I suppose I can compile my own kernel to
>> add AX25 support but it would be so much nicer if I could just use an Elrepo
>> kernel to get the required kernel modules.  :-)
>>
>> --David
>
> The subject line of this m/l thread, as begun on Wed May 3 11:40:22
> EDT 2017 [1], is: "Possible addition of more kernel modules in future
> Centos6 kernels?"
>
> Exactly what was I supposed to make of that request as: (1) the ELRepo
> Project is not the CentOS Project, (2) the ELRepo Project's
> kernel-{lt|ml} package sets for RHEL6 (and clones) already contain the
> requested modules?
>
> To Akemi's question "Did you actually mean EL7?" you have answered "No".

David,

If you are a CentOS user and would rather use the distro kernel
instead of kernel-ml/lt, you have yet another (better) option. Are you
aware of the CentOSPlus kernel? It is a custom kernel for CentOS and
can accommodate feature requests like the one you are asking for. Just
submit a request through http://bugs.centos.org . Another "plus" side
of the CentOSPlus kernel is that it has a number of patches that take
care of bug fixes and improvements.

Akemi